Olive Background


Sunday, July 14, 2013

A while back I came across a Facebook page dedicated to a little boy by the name Mitchel.  He suffered from a form of muscular dystrophy and was dying at the tender age of 10 years old.  His father had set up this page to keep friends and family connected to their situation, but as often happens, the hearts of thousands were touched and family, loved ones, and strangers alike were aware and praying for Mitchell.
Mitchel died just shy of his 11th birthday.  I think the fact that Jackson was a mere two months older than Mitchel made me drawn to his story even more.  How do you let him go?  How, as a parent, do you carry on once he is gone?  Faith in God and His plan aside, how do you?

This was given to the family by the artist and is also on his grave stone.  It's a poignant picture of this child released from the shackles he was required to endure in this life.  He no longer needs the chair to get around. His body no longer fails him.  He is in the arms of his Savior.  

When I look at this picture, I see not only Mitchel.  I see Jared, leaving behind a body and mind that prevent him from expressing all he has to offer.  I see that chair representing the difficulties and challenges we all face in our mortal journey. 

I see the Savior saying, well done.  Thank you for facing your life with dignity and grace.  This, Mitchel certainly did and with that example made thousands of others want to do the same.  

No comments: