Olive Background


Sunday, July 29, 2012

Birthday Trip to Calgary


Jared turned 13 last weekend.  Life was kind of busy and he was not sure what he wanted to do with all the birthday moola he was getting.  So Grandma and Grandpa had us over for birthday pizza and made his favorite......Hawaiian without the ham.....

Jared is obsessed with Lego men.  He has about 50 already, which obviously is not enough.  So this weekend we drove up to Calgary to visit the Lego Store.  Sean, Jared, Jackson and I.  

I must say the staff at the Lego Store are super, duper happy - friendly.  Lego must bring immense joy.  Perhaps I should work there.......

My plan was to ditch Sean and the kids and do my own planned shopping in order to utilize our limited time. I figured they would take about an hour and I had 30 minutes of my own shopping (I had a list) and I would still have time to see all the amazing things the world of Lego had to offer.  

My first store left me with two heavy shopping bags, but what else do you do at Bath and Body Works?  I returned to Lego "mania" to drop my bags off with Sean only to discover they were done.  Done??  10 minutes and done?  I don't drive 2 hours for that garbage.  So I made them stay there for another 20 minutes so I could get my power shopping finished and they could have a chance to not have buyer's remorse, blah, blah, blah.

Jared's goal for shopping was to add significantly to his collection of Lego men.  I figured he would indeed use ALL his cash for that very purpose.....and I should add.....Sean and I bought him clothes for his birthday.  Completely and utterly boring and Jared let me know that.  So I promised him that if he let us buy the clothes then he could spend his birthday money on anything he wanted and I would shut my mouth.  

I really should think things through before I promise such things.  Silly girl.

In the end, he spent $60 on a Lego chess set and he was thrilled.  I was thrilled.  It was a two fold accomplishment.  First, he loves chess.  Second, it comes with 32 Lego men!!!!  Score!!!! Jared was completely over the moon with this find.  He was done.  I was happy because now he has money in his savings account again.  

We went to a Ramen restaurant in Calgary that my parents recommended.  There are few things about Japan that I miss more than a good Ramen.  I haven't had a good one in 25 years.  Off we went after the Lego triumph.  As soon as I walked in the door,  I smelled the smell and the excitement grew.  It smelled like a Ramen shop.  For boys raised on Ichiban, the "real stuff" didn't cut it as much as it did for the grown ups.  Sean and I will return again to try other flavors.  Mine was certainly better than theirs.  I felt bad because Sean made me order for everyone.  Next time......

The day ended with Ikea, of course, and we were happy to be inside as a thunder storm swept over Calgary just as we walked through the doors.  I would not have wanted to drive in it.  It was loud, but the joy that is Ikea is enough to set all that aside. 

It was a great day.  Number three is a teenager now.  One to go.  I noticed today that Jared has grown about 3 inches in the last few months.  It was in the spring that he was my height and as we stood by each other in front of a mirror today, I was surprised to see how he is starting to tower over me. 

I need to get my high heels back on!!!!!

1 comment:

ABDO said...

Sounds like a great trip. Lego Chess set looks awesome. Happy birthday jared!