Olive Background


Sunday, May 27, 2012

Motherhood



Confession..........I am not a fan of the Mother's Day.  Sometimes I get teased for that.  Not a fan.

Now don't get me wrong.  I like a little appreciation from time to time.  But when it comes to appreciating me as a mother I prefer spontaneity and not when Hallmark says it's time.

Jackson gave me a Mother's Day card that he made two weeks early.  I loved that.

Now the opinions written are strictly those of the writer of this blog.  They are not intended to offend or imply any kind of criticism whatsoever.

Peeve:  Putting on a pedestal a woman who has borne and reared 10 kids as if that was a greater accomplishment than the contributions of the woman who bore and raised 1.  Giving her added medals just because she bore them all in the barn with no help, had 100% breastfeeding success, used cloth diapers, made her own diaper cream, home schooled them into university, and did it all while building a 10 year food storage and sewing all their clothes.

Okay, I got a little carried away with sarcasm.

Another peeve:  Dismissing the woman who never had children.

I heard a story of a man called to be bishop in his ward.  Some people questioned why he would be called since he and his wife had no children.  She couldn't bare children.  Some held that against her.  Fortunately the Lord didn't.  Later in life, she was called to be mother to young women all over the world.

One thing I have learned in the short time I've been on this earth is that maternal feelings and instincts do not suddenly trigger upon junior popping out.  They are not reserved for those who go through the physical act of having a baby.  Oh, and the maternal is not reserved solely for our own.

I can think of a number of women who regardless of whether or not they had children were mothers to me. I was nurtured by their example and the time they took to mentor me, listen to me, and love me.  They didn't have to.  I think they did because it was in their nature.  It was Motherhood - their Motherhood - that enriched my life.  It didn't matter whether or not they had children of their own.  I didn't matter that I wasn't one of their very own.  It was Motherhood, a God-given gift to his daughters.

Today I saw it in action.  She's going to read this at some point so here goes......I'm giving you some anonymity, but you should know that I couldn't finish singing the opening hymn in church today because I started to cry.  I saw Motherhood as you cared for those sweet little girls whose own mother is on her way back to her Father in Heaven.  I saw love.  I saw commitment.  I saw refuge.  And there I sat behind you weeping because it touched me.  You are a good woman (and your hubby was pretty awesome himself).

I don't want to qualify for Mother's Day because I am some one's mom.  I want to qualify because I have used that power called Motherhood to uplift and strengthen and nurture those with whom I cross paths.

 Who has mothered you?  When was the last time, if ever, you thanked her?


2 comments:

ABDO said...

I may have borne 2, but it will take many to mother them (and me, too) that's for sure!!
Thanks Mama.

Shelli McCullough said...

Beautiful, Thank you!