Olive Background


Saturday, March 31, 2012

Work Takes Over

I went back to work full time last July.  I like to work.  I like to spend my days getting pedies and eating bonbons too.  Unfortunately the latter doesn't get to happen if I don't do the first.

Wait a second.  I work my butt off and I still can't do the latter.  Where is the justice????

When I went back to work I boldly declared that if they wanted to keep me around they would have to make it worth my while.  I wanted to move up in the world.

Be careful what you ask for.  You might get it.

So here I am since December on an intense training program that at it's conclusion should (and the emphasize SHOULD) turn me into a banker who is licensed to sell mutual fund investments and can lend money for all kinds of stuff.  The license is hopefully on its way.  I passed the exam in February.  My lending training is almost done and then I will learn how to actually do it.  I've been on two business trips to "bank school", as I lovingly call it. My brain is fried and I'm slightly south of exhausted.

That's not to say there hasn't been a bit of fun.....Girls' trip to Phoenix!!!!  A little shoppin', alotta' talkin', and a bit of theatre - yes, Wicked is AWESOME!!  You know.....sometimes you just have to ditch the man and kids for a little girl R&R.  You heard that here.

Of course I am still the loving Mom, though I rarely make dinner anymore.  That has fallen to Sean, but hey, he is self employed and more flexible.  I did do laundry today.  Folded it too.......and I know tons of you don't do that.

Confession......My clean laundry doesn't get folded often either.  Sometimes I need to brag.  Don't judge me.

How do I feel about all this work stuff, honestly.  I enjoy working.  I get bored at home.  I don't want to feel like I sit around all day for the phone to ring with someone telling me that Jared's having troubles (this has happened once in three years....I need to let that go). Still, I have days when I wish I could be a little more June Cleaver and keep my house lovely for all my men to come home to.  I wish I could be a fabulous cook and make meals that even Jordan would eat. I wish I could cuddle my puppies all day long.  I wish I could go to the gym and run my errands when everyone's at work and school so that I am not ditching them when they are home at night.

Alas, that is not the way it is.  So I work.  I am grateful I can and that I have opportunities before me.  Yes, I will make it worth my while and hopefully my family's while too.

It's been a busy few months.  Blogging gets left in the dust, but I'll keep coming back.  Life will settle again soon, I hope.

Please.......let life settle down.


2 comments:

Shelli McCullough said...

Way to go!!!

ABDO said...

SO jealous right now- Three loads of clean, needs to be folded laundry is on my couch!
You redefined this song phrase "We all have work, let no one shirk" Momma Deb!
but, at the drop of a hat I'd take off for Arizona again. SO.MUCH.FUN.