Olive Background


Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Helaman's Encampment - The Jared Story

One of the great things about the camp were the guest speakers in the evening.  There were Young Men's Presidents and former NFL players.  Not your boring ward level stuff.  No.  Bigger.

On the last evening of the camp President Beck, the Young Men's President over the whole entire church came and froze with the rest of the gang.  Now from here I am relaying the account from what Sean and the boys have told me.  They are certainly free to correct me, but here is as close as I can get........

My understanding is that Pres. Beck spoke about being missionaries or becoming missionaries.  Some time during his talk, Jared decided that he needed to go to the bathroom, which Sean let him do.  As Jared made his way to the aisle, he let EVERYONE know where he was going.  During this time it seems Pres. Beck asked for a handful of boys to come up and share what they felt they could do to be or become good missionaries.  I don't think Jared heard any of this.

The port-a-potties were located behind the stage and big TV's so he was walking towards the front.  Suddenly, Sean realized that Jared never made it to the potties......he was in line to get on stage!!!  As Jordan and James realized this too, I think there was a sense of panic.  Should one of them get him?  Did Jared know he was NOT in the potty line up?  Did he know why there were boys lined up to go on stage?  What was he going to say?  There are approximately 3200 men and boys in the audience.  What if he froze?  Yes.  Mild panic.

After the first couple of boys went up and spoke, Sean decided the Jared couldn't do worse so he sat back to watch the outcome.

Jared stood there in front of those 3200 men and boys and said that challenges are hard.  He had two - autism and ADHD.  Sometimes people were annoyed by him and that was okay.  Having his challenges made things hard for him, but Jared said he knows that he should never quit or give up and that he needs listen to the spirit.  Then he kept trying to talk and Pres. Beck did a good job trying to end the speech and move on.

Jared can repel, climb walls, hike long distances, and speak in front of 3200.  The best part for Jared was the fist bumping from other boys all the way back to his seat.  I don`t know if he ever made it to the bathroom.

This is a photo from my friend Karri.  Thank you so much for the visual of such a great experience.  I wish I had been there to witness it myself.




3 comments:

ABDO said...

GREAT story. Way to go, Jared.

Shelli McCullough said...

wow! I love that boy.

dkstewfam said...

Jared, I'm so impressed. And I'm so glad you got to have that experience - and that the other 2299 boys got to hear you! Well done!