Olive Background


Sunday, January 23, 2011

Goal Setting

Jackson's teacher gave the students an exercise to complete which involved writing down what their new years resolutions were.  Jackson, who is a perfectionist in so many ways, responded by crashing his head into his desk.  He went down hard on his forehead and he did not get back up.

His teacher knows him well enough now to know that this was just something that was WAY to stressful for him so she let it go.  It made me wonder if I have dropped the ball on this idea of goal setting or at least been too rigid.

I don't do new years resolutions.  I don't like them.  I think of them as my upcoming failures.  Hmm......what can I NOT do and make myself feel like a complete failure?  I know!!!  I'll start on the first of the year!!!!!  Needless to say, if you asked my boys about resolutions made at the start of a year they would probably look at you like you were strange.

I do, however, believe in setting goals. I believe in establishing traditions.  I just pick dates other than January 1st.

Last year I picked running dates.  September 24th was my big one.  I ran 22K.  I  decided that we would have a big breakfast on Christmas morning and anyone who is in attendance must have a Christmas mug.  It was a fun time.  My parents came with their mugs.  I want to carry that on.  We participated in our friends' Boxing Day run and brunch and hope to join in their annual tradition each year.

This year I am setting running dates again, at least three or four of them.  I am setting some professional goals.  I plan to encourage each of the boys to set at least one goal for themselves.

We've done these things before, but sometimes I wonder if we get so rigid in our goal setting that we leave no room for what life throws at us.  I am hoping we can be more flexible this year and adjust when necessary.

I don't want my almost 9 year old feeling overwhelmed by these types of things.  His poor little forehead.

No comments: