Olive Background


Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In The Zone

The past few runs with Jared have been.....um......tactfully.....um.......like gouging my own eyes out.

All of a sudden it was too hard, and too long, and my legs are hurting and I haven't even run a quarter mile yet, and it's too cold, and groan, and pant, and etc., etc. I was worried that his focus from running was gone and we were going to have to put this project on the shelf. It was unpleasant and I was having difficulty not looking like an abusive parent to get him to the end.

You can imagine my fears for the running club's two mile run. Terrified. I was going to do it this weekend instead. I didn't think there was any way we could get two miles out of Jared and still get into class by 8:30 am.

They scheduled the run for 7:45......15 minutes earlier than usual. Great. No excuses.

So I spent a week prepping Jared mentally for this run. The running club teacher prepped the group mentally for a week.

Here's the end result:

Jared completed the two miles. Jared ran the whole thing without stopping (nearly killing me in the process). Jared maintained a positive attitude throughout and we discussed the finer points of all things Wii Fit. Jared was so pleased he did it that I think his biggest problem today will be shutting up about the fact that he completed it.

In other great running news.....I learned today that I will be allowed to run with Jared in the upcoming kids mini marathon at the end of the month.

So we continue to run.

No comments: