Olive Background


Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines Shmalentines

Anyone who knows me knows I am a complete Grinch when it comes to Valentines Day. I also get grumpy around Mothers' Day. I find no shame in it and I am not about to change my ways. I just feel that we shouldn't have to wait until a specific date on a calendar or await the heralding of Hallmark angels to show our sweeties and mommies that we love and appreciate them. Minus some important holidays, there are 360ish other days to make me breakfast in bed and treat me like a queen.

I don't know when I started to dislike February 14th. I am sure I've blocked out a number of unpleasant memories of unrequited love.....that would mean my love was unrequited.....and memories of watching the boy I was completely in love with dancing the last dance with some other girl in junior high school.

Just to show that I was not slouch back then, a friend from junior and senior high school came up to me at our 20th reunion and told me how much he had really liked me back then but was too scared to do anything about it. He was pretty drunk that night, but hey, I'll take it.

When Sean and I were married, I let him know that Valentines sucked and not to bother with it. He's been more or less compliant on that issue over the years. But now we have kids. They make gifts and cards for moms in art classes. They bring home class lists to aid in the preparation of a gazillion Valentine cards. Every year it looms in my face. Christmas is done. New Years is done. Now come Valentines.

Last night I did something. It was kind of celebratory. The whole time I was planning it I was in disbelief that I would cave. I invited over a family for dinner and a Valentines Party.

Karri has become a good friend. She's very nice and she quickly invited our family over for dinner when we first moved here. We go out for lunch occasionally. Our oldest boys are friends. I have not invited anyone over while the major portions of our renovations were happening. Now they are mostly done. So I invited Karri and her family and we had such a good time. She and her husband have 4 kids too - all close in age to mine.

So I've done it. I did Valentines Day and I had fun......but don't think for a moment that I will change my ways. I will still bah humbug the whole affair and exclaim from the rooftops that there are 360ish days a year..........

No comments: