Olive Background


Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Open Letter to My Car Thief

Dear Thief,

This morning I was made clearly aware that I forgot to lock up my van last night. I usually do. I must have pushed the wrong button. It doesn't really matter at this point.

I went to start up the van to take my boys to school and found the front seats and floor mats in a complete mess. Every storage compartment was opened. About $5 in coin was missing. I was robbed.

I hope it was worth it to you. I concede, I made it easy. An easy $5. I hope you put it to good use.

But it's not the money I miss. It wasn't very much anyway. Nothing else was missing since I don't keep valuables in the van.

What cheeses me off to the nth degree is why couldn't you have cleaned up the mess you left behind? I mean really, we were asleep in the house. We didn't hear you at all. You had all the time in the world. The front light was out. No one would have seen you. Could you not have taken the time to put everything back in its rightful place?

Come on!! There was garbage everywhere. The phone book I keep under the front seat was on the seat. My drink cup was on the floor. The CDs I never listen to were strewn all over the place. Can't you close a glove box? A cup holder?

I hate cleaning messes. You made me work. Shame on you!!

You know, if you had done so I may not have noticed right away that you had robbed me. I could have continued on in my complacency and could have been your victim again. You could have scored bigger things next time. But alas, you are sloppy. So now I will be vigilant. I will be sure the doors are locked.

Heaven forbid I have to clean my car again.

No comments: