Olive Background


Monday, January 5, 2009

My First (and perhaps only) Book Review

With the boys back in school today, I spent some time reading a short story I have wanted to read for a while now.

When the movie The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was released a couple of months ago, I decided on reading the book before seeing the movie. The older boys wanted to see the movie and I thought perhaps this was an occasion where they should also read the book before seeing the movie.

Today I found the chance to go buy the book and I came home and read it through the early afternoon.

It's about two boys who meet and spend their days on different sides of a fence. Through their visits they form a unique friendship. I was touched, and horrified, and heartbroken by this book. I had some kind of feeling about every character written. While hindsight clouds my judgements of the inaction and choices of some, I understood how fear can paralyze you from doing what would be morally right.

So did I give away the story? Read it. Each one of my boys will at some point before they leave my house.

Now perhaps I will watch the movie.

No comments: