Olive Background


Friday, September 26, 2008

Running for Cancer

Today was the Terry Fox Run at both schools my boys attend. Students and teachers ran and raised money that will be donated for cancer research.

I remember Terry Fox. I was a child, maybe 9 or 10 years old, when he began his run across Canada. He had one leg and a prosthetic on the other after an amputation due to cancer claimed his leg. He was a young man when he started his run and he died a little more than a year after when cancer was found in his lungs. He ran from the east coast to Ontario before he had to stop and he was only 21 or 22 when he died. That was 28 years ago and we remember him by continuing what he started.

I am so glad that each year my boys are reminded of Terry. The fundraising efforts he began are, of course, amazing and so needed as cancer still claims so many loved ones. But what I also hope my boys learn is the gift of sensitivity Terry had and of his desire and determination to make this world a better place. He died a giver rather than a taker. If we could all be more like him I think we could change not only the face of cancer, but the whole world.

Here's the Terry Fox Foundation website: http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/home/default.asp?s=1










3 comments:

Jen said...

We also did this at our school for the first time since I've been there. We were told we raised over $3000!

Mitsuko said...

You look like you all had a good run,
boys!! This is another reason to have more Mcdonald's milkshakes?

Grandma Miko

Shelli said...

Your post almost made me cry. It feels so good to be part of something so much bigger than ourselves and I too am glad that my kids wil learn about Terry fox and his cause.